Sunday, March 22, 2009

Musings on your Musings...

Lynn,
Thanks for your quick reply. I am grateful for the inclusion of the writing rubric to your email. It is very logically laid out and I think it is simple enough for me to keep it in my head as I am grading. I especially like the idea of holding them to some accountability for the final project. Maybe they could submit it to e-Tutor or work in small groups to revise some elements of it prior to submission. I am going to spend some time with your excellent rubric and wonder what my English Comp. students would think about it. I suspect they would really like the concrete way it explains the abstract concept of good writing!
As for the syllabus to attach to the course description…I guess we have two different syllabi in mind at this point, one detailed and one simplified. I can work on the simplified version tomorrow and post it to Blogger for you to look at. I can refer to the final curriculum as “the development of a curriculum project, which will incorporate elements explored throughout the semester…” or something like that. We could call it the Preliminary Syllabus for the course. I also think we need the detailed version. Like you, I need to see it all in one place. I am a very visually-oriented person and can’t really function if I can’t visualize the big picture.
Thanks for responding to the peers’/peer’s question, because it made me go check it out again. My dear grandmother was a high school English teacher here in the local school for many, many years. My father has her old Grammar Handbook, so I looked it up in there. That book agrees with my Handbook that peers’ is the correct form in this case. I love when I can connect to my grandmother’s teaching experience. I wish she were here today to see how I teach English Comp. online - I’m sure it would blow her mind!
I thank you for access to your great web links, and I agree with you that the final curriculum should have a bibliography for each section.
I’ll post some more stuff soon, starting with a draft of that simplified syllabus.
Suzanne
PS: Don't forget to go outside and "play" at some point today!

No comments:

Post a Comment