Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Instructor Profile

Suzanne Purcell
Community College of Vermont
Spring, 2009

I'm very excited to be teaching for Community College of Vermont. I've been teaching for CCV since 2002, while at the same time working in the field of early childhood education in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. I recently left that position because I have discovered that I have a passion for working with adult learners. I graduated from CCV in 1989 and feel strongly that the firm educational background I acquired as a student here was a pivotal factor in my future educational endeavors. I believe in CCV and its potential for positive impact on Vermonters.

After graduating from CCV, I went on to Vermont College in Montpelier where I completed my undergraduate degree in fine arts and art history. In the fall of 2002 I completed the graduate program at the University of Oklahoma where I studied art history, specifically nineteenth century sculpture.

I've taught a variety of classes including Foundations of Reading and Writing, Intercultural Communication, Interpreting Global Issues, English Composition, Educating Exceptional Populations, and Literature for Children. This is my ninth semester teaching online and I'm very excited about the possibilities this mode of teaching offers to the CCV community. My goal for this class is to foster a learning community in which we all contribute and we all learn.

I have two grown children and three wonderful grandsons. I love to travel and one of my ambitions is to travel around the world. I've been to Italy and hope to go to Greece next year. I went to Belize with my father in March, which was wonderful! Among my interests are motorcycle touring, jewelry making, knitting, reading and writing. I love to read historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy, detective novels, and travel journals.

My house is an old farmhouse situated high on a hill in the Northeast Kingdom with a wonderful view. The house was built in the 1840s, which means it requires constant upkeep but offers irresistible charm. Recently I've found a wonderful couple to rent the house. I now divide my time between Burlington, where I live with my boyfriend of many years, and my father's horse ranch in southeastern Oklahoma.

Every semester, I feel I learn as much if not more than my students. I'd like all of us to think of ourselves as teachers and learners, and these roles will be shared among us. In this way, we will create a rich and interesting learning community.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to meeting each of you and beginning this shared experience.

Suzanne
suzpurcell@gmail.com
802.922.0058

No comments:

Post a Comment