Saturday, February 21, 2009

Hi Susan!

I finally got in - I had a few problems - my email is a yahoo and the blog kept asking me for my google address. I finally just put in my yahoo address and go in! Glad to finally be here!

I have received a few more texts, one a teachers manual to supplement the text, but I haven't had a chance to look them over yet. I am adding my profile below for you as well. I look forward to working with you!

A little something about me . . .

Teaching is my third career, one to which I am wedded for life. I love to teach and I learn as much from my students as they do from me. Learning was never easy for me; therefore I try to keep my classes simple but challenging.

I graduated from the University of Maine at Farmington with a BS and completed my graduate work at the University of Arkansas. I have been teaching online since 1996 and have taught a variety of courses. I also teach high school Humanities full time in Poland, Maine. History is my first love and I teach history both at the high school level and specifically Native American Histories and Cultures online.

I have worked for CCV since 1995, first as a classroom instructor in Rutland, then full time as an academic coordinator and online instructor. Upon the untimely death of my husband in 2004 I decided to move closer to my children and currently reside in Naples, Maine where I enjoy the company of my grandchildren and family. My grandchildren, Gwen and Eli are 2 and 4 years old respectively and I use many of the methods and ideas discussed in some of my education classes to teach them. They are my guinea pigs for learning. I also volunteer at my grandchildren’s day care center to provide early childhood education activities and lessons. I have worked in the 3-5 yr old pre-school environment and love working with this age group. It is a nice change from my high school teenagers!

At home I care for my mentally retarded sister and am involved with Special Olympics and other related programs for the mentally challenged. I enjoy working with special needs people and have used some of the ideas and methods from these education classes with them as well.

Another major interest in my life is working closely with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. My Grandson, Eli has Cystic Fibrosis and I enjoy participating in every fundraiser and all events that occur throughout the year to raise money for research to find a cure.

I love to travel and visit Vermont often as I left many dear friends and acquaintances there. I have also visited Ireland, England, Scotland, Paris, Italy and own a timeshare in St. Maarten. As you can probably gather after reading this brief biography, I am a workaholic and am very involved with life in general. I love the outdoors, working with children of all ages and volunteering my time to give back to the community that has supported and nurtured me.

1 comment:

  1. Lynn,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your profile. You are indeed a very busy woman! It seems we have some things in common: I have a grandson named Eli, love to travel, and very often visit Maine. My daughter and her family live in Orland, very near where I grew up. I have a very special place in my heart for the state of Maine!
    I am still waiting for my examination copies of the text books to arrive, but as soon as they get here I will let you know. In the meantime, do you have any leads on the objectives and course description? I suspect they are available online, but not in the obvious place.
    I am thrilled to be working with you on this project and hope to pick your brains about some of the wonderful teaching experiences you have had. I am grateful to John for introducing us and making this collaboration happen.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete